Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's ALL about imagination



I've had some posts ready for a while, but I'm so intimidated by the incredible craftsmanship showcased on this site.

Today I'll take a chance and share something from a recent show.

Dollhouse and Miniatures shows always inspire me! I attended one in El Sobrante, California over the weekend and had a chance to meet some wonderful artists. I was impressed by the creativity shown in the photo above -- the artist had looked beyond a box of detergent and seen the possibilities! The miniature laundry area is cleverly crafted.

I did something similar years ago with a gallon container of ice cream and a mini soda fountain. Now I'm looking around for something different. A kitchen in an oatmeal carton? A bakery in a box of sugar? The possibilities are endless and kind to the environment.

2 comments:

Sumaiya Mehreen said...

Dearest Camille:
Is there a stronger wooden box inside the detergent box? Thanks for sharing this wonderful roombox with us! :)

Camille Minichino said...

It's not wooden; the walls are heavy cardboard "inserts," the blue and white frame is of balsa, however.

There was also a more common scene where the crafter had taken a large metal tea kettle, like the kind you'd put over a campfire, and created a campfire scene within.

All of these are very clever, but nothing like the beauty of your dolls, Smehreen!