Monday, April 14, 2008

Whose Art is It Anyway? You Can Lose Your Rights to Your Own Art!!!

Through some friendly sources I have just been turned on to a story that is certainly worth the lengthy read. Mind Your Business: You Will Lose All The Rights to Your Own Art, certainly caught my attention. As an Artist how could it have not?!!!

I worry about what I put out there knowing it can and or will eventually be taken. Having been a victim its sad to know that with all the art out there a large portion of it if only self proclaimed to be copyright and yet it has not been legally registered as such is not and will not be a legal infringement if used in any way by another then the creator with or without permission.

Not sure if this is true or legal. Imagine of all the artists in the USA and all the art, the copyright office would have to be bigger than the IRS to keep track of it all. Why is it also that on the internet there are sites claiming that with the addition of just 1 of their banners on your site they are registering all content on your site and that you post to your site?

Its a few pages long, but the guy took the time to write it, I agree it is really worth the time it will take to read it. Animation World Magazine

2 comments:

Sumaiya Mehreen said...

Thanks Andrea, for bringing up this very real problem. Personally, I assume anything I put on-line is out of my control! Sad...but that's the reality right now.

Caddy Craft Miniatures and Crafts said...

I actually did not know the extent of it...eye opening. I was of the understanding your signature on a piece (if registered) made it intellectually yours. Good read, thank you for that